Monday, September 27, 2010

Yoga tougher than it appears - Longmont Daily Times-Call

Yoga is not my thing. Never has been; never will be.

Slowly, I?m realizing that?s a formula for disaster.

It?s not just an excuse for the wife to get out of the house, or to get some free time while you?re lounging on the couch watching football in your underwear.

If you think that, you?re wrong. Way wrong.

This is serious business.

I had just finished my recovery week ? six days worth of yoga, core and stretching ? and hopped in the shower. Standard procedure following a do-your-best workout.

Shower off, I reached for my towel. Normal routine.

Feeling spunky, I whipped the towel around with both hands and dried my back.

?Uh oh.?

The upper left side of my back and lower neck were in big-time pain.

Nothing like being naked and in excruciating discomfort. Awkward, I know.

Before I was even dressed or could complain about pulling a back muscle, reality set in.

?That?s why you do yoga,? my wife said. ?Quit skipping it.?

Thanks for caring.

No worries, though: She gave me plenty of back rubs and neck massages the past few days.

Truth is, I don?t always skip the Yoga DVD.

During a normal P90X week, yoga is sandwiched in between hardcore chest, back, arms and cardiovascular workouts.

It?s like me wearing spandex. Just doesn?t fit.

So, I normally substitute the Cardio X DVD. Instead of an hour and half, like yoga, it?s 45 minutes.

Much easier on the body. Still sweat like a madman, too.

Plus, the first 15 minutes of the workout is yoga, followed by kenpo drills, plyometrics and cardio exercises. So I?m still flexing, bending and balancing.

However, five days before pulling a muscle drying off, there I was in front of the TV doing yoga. Rumbling, bumbling, stumbling.

They say yoga opens the mind, cleans the body, relaxes the muscles.

?I do things now at 45 that I couldn?t do when I was younger,? says P90X creator Tony Horton. ?Why? Because I do yoga.?

Guarantee you Horton doesn?t pull muscles in the shower. Just a hunch.

Wife by side, I stumbled through the Yoga DVD. ?How?s my form?? I asked, every 5 seconds.

The moves, poses and stretches were so muddling, my head exploded.

Prayer twist. Reverse Warrior. Half moon.

My body had no response.

Since it was recovery week, I was supposed to do yoga a few days later. Didn?t happen.

Man, my neck hurts. Stupid yoga gods.

Check back every Monday to follow Ray Sobczyk?s P90X journey. He can be reached at rsobczyk@times-call.com.

All content Copyright © 2010 Longmont Times-Call. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed for any commercial purpose.
TimesCall.com Privacy Policy


View the original article here

No comments: